Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fat, Carbs, & Protein

I decided to do a small experiment today. "Experiment" is a bit much, but you get the idea. I decided to try and eat healthily, without paying attention to fat, carbs, and protein. Then, at the end of the day, I went back and looked at everything I ate (and drank) and tallied it up. This way, I could see what my version of eating healthily meant in terms of numbers, and from there I can try and make appropriate adjustments. That's the plan, anyway. I am only human.

So, I ate small meals and snacks throughout the day -- lean ham sandwich, Bran Flakes, juice, Kashi bar, 1/2 apple, etc. Here's what it all added up to:

  • 15 grams of fat (about 1/2 of what I need)
  • 196 grams of carbs (oops...twice what I should be aiming for)
  • 66 grams of protein (about 2/3 of what I need)
Interesting. So, I need to find a way to beef up my protein intake and cut down on carbs. The book suggests shakes or bars if you aren't meeting your protein goal, so I may look into that. As far as carbs go, God help me. I suppose I also need more fat -- can that be true?

While we're on the subject of health, tonight was my second Yoga 101 class! It was hard. But I like it, 85% of the time. There are definitely points where my muscles start to shake, then my entire legs and arms, and I'm not sure I'm going to make it through a pose. Hopefully I will get stronger as the class goes on.

2 comments:

  1. It is hard to imagine needing more fats, for any of us. I wonder if the essential oils and things in some of the supplements take care of what you need and not the 'fats' we don't need? Just wondering? Be sure you ask your doctor before starting on any herbals or OTC vitamins, etc. Not the protein bars. Kashi has a good one I like...Pumpkin spice flax or something like that...has some cinnamon in it...good but I don't know the contents offhand.
    The flaxseed cookies are made by Voortman. I found them at Schnucks recently! Much cheaper than having to order them and have them shipped.
    Yoga...I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the other heavy duty omega vitamin I was mentioning is called Mega Red....

    ReplyDelete