Monday, April 19, 2010

Mid-Cycle Scan

Today we had our mid-cycle (CD 8) ultrasound and bloodwork. Everything seems to be going well so far! My estrogen was at 288 and I had several follicles that seem to be chugging along nicely. My lead follicle is at 17.5mm and I had six or seven in the 9-14mm range. We're going back on Wednesday to check the progress. My hope is that a few of the smaller follies will catch up a bit and be mature by the time we trigger. I have never had more than two mature follies, so it would be really nice (although perhaps improbable?) to have several.

Which begs the question: TTC'ers that may be reading this, have you ever gone against your RE's orders? Or, to put it in less severe terms, chosen to up your Follistim dosage towards the end of a cycle for an extra boost? I know -- talk about the "gasp" heard around the world. I haven't done this before, but I won't say that I'm above it. I trust my RE and realize that he, unlike me, has somewhat of a medical degree. One might even go as far as to say that he is more knowledgeable on the subject of TTC than I. But it's tempting, right? We have had several cycles that have resulted in one or two mature (17-19mm) follicles and have been instructed to abstain from Follistim that evening and trigger the next afternoon. Every time this happens, I wish our RE would be slightly more aggressive. Because really, if I'm not pregnant this cycle, IVF is lurking in my near future, so J and I are ready to go balls out. We made this clear to the nurses, who seemed to understand. But what happens if later this week we find ourselves in a similar position to last cycles? Is there any harm in giving myself just a tiny bit of extra Follistim? I can't believe I'm even admitting to this craziness and lack of faith in a trained professional. Who am I to assume I know better, right? I suppose that at this point, I'm just ready to take a small (safe) risk. Maybe.

In other news, J and I are cautiously optimistic about this cycle. This is almost harder for me to admit than my thoughts of self-medication, as I'd hate to jinx myself. I have to admit, though, that I've been feeling really good this month. I haven't been freaking out, over-analyzing, worrying, stressing, or feeling prematurely defeated. Instead, I'm hopeful. This is a dangerous game I'm playing, but I think I'm going to try to stay positive and just see how things play out. To be continued...

6 comments:

  1. Hands up! I have done it too my last cycle. just a tiny bit more of Puregon. Like I had to do 150U and I did the next tick up on the pen (maybe 152U). It turned out it would have been better not too as my leading follicles sort of sucked it all in increasing the difference in size between them and the others.
    I'll keep everything crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've had the opposite temptation - to give myself less than instructed. and turns out for my last cycle, i should've listened to myself. but, hindsite is *always* 20/20. tell the RE your concern and be adamant about it, and see what he/she says. that being said, if you do give yourself a little extra, don't give yourself *too muchie*. the dr's are md's for a reason (altho sometimes i think we're smarter)!! all my limbs crossed for you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not saying self mediciate, but trust your gut. I would mention it to your Dr and if he doesn't listen SWITCH DR's. I can't say this enough. I wasted 6 months with a DR and found out we missed ovulation all 6 months after switching to a new one. No one knows our bodies better than we do. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping in for ICLW. I will admit I went against my doctor's orders and took my Clomid CD1-5 rather than 3-7. It worked for me and made me ovulate earlier in my cycle - I know nothing about Follitism though so I won't give my advice there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh girlie. I have never been in a situation like this and have never done a straight follistim cycle, just IVF. I wish you luck and peace with whatever decision you make. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY ICLW!

    I wish you the very best with this cycle! What ever you choose to do, I wish you luck. You have to do what you feel is right! Talk to your doctor and see what he says, he never hurts to ask!

    ReplyDelete