Monday, November 23, 2009

Christmas Cards

I caught an interesting post over at Life Happens When You're Making Other Plans. She mentioned the letters we all receive each year around the holidays from friends and family complete with every update on their lives that you could ever want. You know the kind. I suppose that I understand their purpose, but for some reason they have a tendency to get under my skin. Anyway, I had to empathize/laugh/frown/smile at this part of her post:

I don't think anyone would want to get a Christmas letter describing shots in the belly, bruises, ultrasounds, vagaegae cams, egg retrievals, egg transfers, frozen embryos, leaky progestrone meds, mood swings, and miscarriages. Even Santa wouldn't want to receive a letter like that!

Ain't it the truth! I guess it isn't really all that funny, but it made me smile. I know what she means.

9 comments:

  1. Last year I wrote a parody of the Christmas letter, I will do one again this year. I hate those things. Three words: I Don't Care! If you want me to talk about how my hubby and I were without sex for four months and haven't managed to kill each other yet.

    Stopping by for an ICLW visit...
    No. 2: the unfair struggle (mfi, speedskating, nanowrimo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, when people's Christmas letters are funny or interesting, I don't mind. But, usually, I don't care much, either. Especially if they're from people I barely know. (You know? The people who are Christmas card only friends or family? lol)

    However, I will be writing one this year, if only to explain why there is a 2 year old in the picture when there wasn't a child or pregnant belly in sight last year! lol (We're in the process of adopting through the foster care system.) Hopefully that's a legitimate excuse! haha

    Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vagaegae? Vajayjay?

    My parents' letters are ridiculous. "Look how awesome we are and you are not."

    ReplyDelete
  4. True that! Although I have to admit that after years of feeling crushed by all the cards adorned with family portraits and baby pics, I can't wait to show off our adopted baby boy in our holiday card this year.

    Thanks for your sweet comment, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that is funny. I'd love to see a letter like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those letters are always for families with children it seems. Why is it okay to go on and on about kids, but not the painstaking process you go through to get them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my mother would freak right out if I sent out a letter detailing our IF battles, but I wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cracked me up. It's so true. Nobody wants to hear about the stuff that we go through to even try to start a family! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cards get under my skin too! They serve only to (1) make me feel guilty about not sending Christmas cards, and (2) remind me how untraditional my family is! I thought about coaxing a woman, two kids, and a dog to pose in front of a Christmas tree with me, but concluded that they might be a bit creepy.

    ReplyDelete