PM: Hi M, got your message. The fee for a Hysterosalpingogram is $355.
Me: (Not bad!)
PM: ...and then, of course, the hospital will send you a bill as well. I don't do the billing for them, but after surveying a few patients I found that the average fee from that facility will be about $900.
Me: (Oh. Bad.)
So, yeah. $1,255. Really hoping that insurance will kick in on this one, but also seriously doubting it, considering they've never covered anything in the past. Also, RE is out of town working at another one of his offices until the beginning of February and won't be able to draft a (another) letter to my insurance company until he gets back. And once they receive it, I assume that it will be a few weeks to get a response. I guess we're on hold until then.
Feeling really frustrated today. Really sick of this whole process.
I really hate how insurance works. I don't understand why procedures aren't covered and why it has to be so frustrating. As if the whole IF thing isn't frustrating enough!
ReplyDeleteICLW
I don't have insurance for IF but I managed to get my HSG covered because my doctor was assessing the prevalence of fibroids (we knew I had one at the time). It was a headache but I was grateful at the time.
ReplyDeleteICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/
All I can say is Grrrrr and in total agreement re your frustration!
ReplyDeleteICLW
Rach
www.thegalwho.wordpress.com
As if IF wasn't bad enough but the stress of dealing with insurance and the out of pockets cost can seem so overwhelming. Hang in there. I have found that calling my insurance company has helped in some cases. For my hubbies surgery a helpful man gave me the right code to give the dr's office so his surgery would be covered. Like daega99 said a little piece of information can make a big difference.
ReplyDeleteI wish you the best of luck.
ICLW
Ugh, insurance stinks. Sometimes you can get lucky with procedures like the HSG and whatnot because the 'outpatient procedure' parts are sometimes covered (the RE fees, not so much, but hey).
ReplyDeleteGood luck with everything!
ICLW
Hi there! I just commented on another post, but in reading through some of your journey I just have to post again. This is why I *love* ICLW, because I feel like we have very similar experiences and I have become passionate about sharing my experience....so this might be a little long, but I hope you take something away from it!
ReplyDeleteI am one of those girls you mentioned before who didn't know she had PCOS. I don't really have any telltale signs except when you look at my ovaries and that I am overweight (but not obese). I didn't find out until after about a year with my first RE...not a happy camper!
Needless to say, I am now on my 2nd RE and it was the best choice we could have made. He is the #1 IVF RE in my state, and we went to him ready to pay (full out-of-pocket expenses) for an IVF cycle. But he asked me to trust him and try a diet that he supports first for 3 months before doing IVF. I did that along with Glumetza (glucophage). I write about the diet (on my old blog) here: http://unquestionablelove.blogspot.com/2009/06/1st-visit-w-our-new-re-pcosers-might-be.html and here: http://unquestionablelove.blogspot.com/2009/06/more-on-my-new-diet.html. It is similar to the one you blogged about, but I think it's a little more cut and dry and doesn't involve counting grams of carbs or proteins or sugars, which I am horrible about.
Okay, this is long, but I write all of this to tell you that after only 1 cycle of sticking really hardcore to this diet, I ovulated on my own for the FIRST time in over 2 years (at the time) of TTC. I also lost about 20 pounds. I continued the diet but eased up a bit. Nevertheless, I continued to enjoy +OPKs and by some miracle, I got pg without ANY injectables or other drugs (just the diet and the glumetza) just 4 months after starting the regimen.
Unfortunately, we lost our sweet girl the week before Christmas, but it didn't have anything to do with my PCOS, our girl had Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome) and that's what caused the m/c.
I hope I'm not shoving this all down your throat! I just feel like I need to share because I was the third person to get pg on this plan just within my IRL friends...and the other two are still pg with healthy babies. My doctor pretty much told me that I was wasting my money with injectables because while I was making the follies bigger (and I responded really well by the looks of it), they weren't any better quality due to the insulin resistance, which he believes all PCOSers have to some extent.
I am soooo sorry this was so long!! :) Feel free to stop by old blog via the links I already mentioned, but I hope you'll drop by my new blog, too. Best of luck to you, I'll be checking in and rooting for you!
Wow Christina, thanks so much for sharing! I really appreciate hearing your story! I'm so sorry for your loss of your little girl -- I can't imagine the heartache.
ReplyDeleteSo, what kinds of things do you eat? Could you give me a list of some of your favorite foods that fall into that category? It sounds like it worked so well for you!
I've added you to my blog list and will be following your journey! BEST of luck to you and your husband!
Hi, I am so sorry things are so difficult and expensive. It's a long road but it's full of hope and mixed emotions, i really hope it'll work out for all of us. This ICLW week I'm determined to find more blog to add to my blogroll in the ttc section rather than pregnancy, so I'm glad i found you! i hope you'll come visiting my sometimes too!
ReplyDeleteMuch love, Fran
ICLW #90
Yikes that's a lot of $ for just a test! So frustrating that it's important to know the results for treatment, but that the test itself doesn't get you further in treatment itself. I hope your insurance comes through.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's a huge chunk of change. I hope that your doc is abe to convince your insurance to cover it.
ReplyDeleteICLW