Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hysterosalpingogram

Just got off the phone with the nurse. "M, what are we going to do with you?!" My thoughts exactly. She said that this cycle looked beautiful -- our best yet, and that she had high hopes for us this time. Because everything looked good on paper and I'm surfing the crimson wave yet once again (who doesn't appreciate a good Clueless reference?), she thinks RE would probably be interested in doing a Hysterosalpingogram. Basically, they will inject dye into my fallopian tubes and check for blockages. The nurse that a lot of women get pregnant soon after having an HSG because even if everything looks normal, the dye being pushed through the tubes has a way of clearing everything out.

RE sent a letter to our insurance company in November to check and see if this procedure would be covered. I called today (for the third time) and, conveniently, "The reply letter was mailed out to your doctor today!" Only two months later! Anyway, the letter from the insurance company basically says absolutely nothing and that I can check my benefits online to see if I will be covered or RE can send in a predetermination request (?) to find out more. You know, the insurance company could have told us that back in November. Did it really take two months to give, for all intents and purposes, an automated response?

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will not be covered, as nothing related to fertility has been so far. So, I left a message with the practice manager today to find out what the damage would be out of pocket.

2 comments:

  1. try working with your RE to see if there is a possible alternative diagnosis that would be covered. I'm not advocating insurance fraud, but it's possible that there is a legit medical reason that you need the HSG, though I totally believe that this is a medically legit reason that it should be covered. I've found that most offices are willing to help with that.

    I wrote a blog a few months ago about what I'd change about healthcare that you might appreciate. http://fertilityfoibles.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-version-of-health-care-reform.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Blondie!

    Just wanted to let you know that I am going to post a blog (hopefully soon) about what kinds of things I eat on the low amylose diet. I'll work on it soon and let you know when I post. In the meantime, you can find the "rules" of the diet in my June 2009 archives.

    Looking forward to keeping up with you!!

    ReplyDelete