Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pat on the Back

You know, sometimes you just need a little pat on the back. I realize that I'm not perfect. I should cut out fast food completely. I should eat more vegetables. Etc etc. I could go on and on. Trust me, I spend at least 30% of my day dwelling on things that I should and shouldn't do and essentially blaming myself for all of my IF struggles.

J is amazing. Incredible. The best person I know. The person I look up to. The person who calms my fears. And, the person who assures me that I'm insane when I start with the self-blame. In his opinion, PCOS is to blame, not me. Whether or not he is entirely correct, it makes me feel better to know that he is in my corner. He never criticizes me, never advises me to skip dessert. Never. He knows that I punish myself enough as it is. That's not to say that he isn't supportive if I ask him to help me to eat better and exercise more -- he's just found the balance. I can't say enough about this man.

Anyway, I've gotten off track. I am a list-maker by nature and I think it's time for a list of accomplishments from the past year. Sometimes I need to be reminded of the progress I've made, rather than dwelling only on the fact that I'm not pregnant. So, here goes.

1. After reading up on supplements, I've started a daily regimen of Metformin (2,000 mg daily as prescribed by RE), Vitamin D3, Flax Seed, Chromium, and a prenatal vitamin. Anything I'm missing? Fellow IF/PCOS'ers, what do you take?

2. I've lost 10 pounds! Yippee!

3. I've fallen in love with yoga. And I am not someone who normally enjoys exercise. I try and go once a week.

4. I signed up to walk in a 5k (Race for the Cure) in April. J runs 1/2 and full marathons, so my measly walking of 3 miles is a bit sad in comparison, but still. Along the same line, now that it's warm outside, we're back to walking/biking almost every day.

5. I've had FOUR unprovoked periods in a row! They've all been 22-32 days apart. For a normal 28 year old, this wouldn't be anything remarkable. But for someone with PCOS, this is a huge milestone!

6. Because of my work schedule, I am forced to eat fast food more than I would like. Okay, not more than I would like, but more than I should. However, I've stopped ordering fries, started taking the top bun off of sandwiches, and started ordering water rather than Diet Coke (sometimes). Sure, I'm not eating a grilled chicken breast and broccoli for lunch, but it's a step, people.

7. After starting my blog last summer, I've "met" so many inspiring women! In addition to finding others who I can relate to, I have found a network of women that I can go to with questions. I've really learned a lot just by reading others' stories! For example, I read about the HSG in another woman's blog and asked my doctor about it. He had never mentioned it before, so I'm sure glad I asked! I'm having one tomorrow. Hopefully they won't find any problems, but either way, I'll be better off with the information.

So, there you have it. Not a wasted year!

4 comments:

  1. hi - just wanted to drop in and say hi :o) *goodluck* withe the hsg exam tomorrow, and yaay for 4 normal-ish periods in a row!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you DESERVE a pat on the back! Seriously, those are some amazing accomplishments! I appreciate that J supports you and doesn't push or judge. My J is the same way and it's invaluable. I'm really inspired by your motivation!! Thanks...I've been needing a little push to get back to my walking/running routine and I appreciate your little push!

    Best of luck for the HSG tomorrow. I hope it goes smoothly and you don't find anything bothersome...it will be so nice to have that peace of mind. Just don't forget some aspirin or something beforehand...but then again, I'm a big baby with zero pain tolerance. It really wasn't that bad, but I still recommend taking something small to take the edge off about 30 or 40 minutes beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could not possibly waste anything! Total agreement about J! He is awesome! 1. Great job on being your own advocate in your health care and your own body! 2. Weight is always a pain and especially hard with PCOS...or should I say nearly impossible? So that is huge!!!!! Again healthier you! 3. So glad you have found something which you like to do, make you relax, and is good for your mind and body at the same time! 4. Always admirable! We aren't all supposed to run marathons! Especially when it is 27 degrees. :) And you are also riding your bike and getting natural God-made Vitamin D- sunshine! 5. Obviously you are doing the right things that help....when could you ever say 4 in a row!!! And....self-blame....there is no such thing with PCOS. You wouldn't blame someone for causing their own Type ! diabetes-- so why blame yourself for having a body (not just reproductive system) for having insulin resistance? You deserve to give yourself a huge break here!!! 6. Again, little steps take you down the same road as big ones....but it is easier for us when we take smaller ones. Good for you! 7. I am thrilled you have met supportive people who become more than just people 'out there'!
    Thanks for the reminder that we all need to have times where we look at the positive and not dwell on the negative. In fact, we need many more times of the former than the latter.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay for you!! it sounds like J is amazing and you have some great plans like your 5k and yoga! good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete