Friday, May 28, 2010

Minor freak-out at the thought of surgery. Help?

After doing some minor research about my upcoming Laparoscopy, I'm having a minor freak-out. I've never been too keen on surgery -- the whole thing creeps me out. Intubation (YIKES), an IV, incisions in my abdomen, recovery time, etc.

If you're had one before, what's it like? Hopefully you can talk me down a bit? Not excited.

6 comments:

  1. My lap surgery for endo was a BREEZE. I had surgery done around noon on Monday, went out to lunch Tuesday with friends (hey, it was my birthday and they were in from out of state) and Wednesday I was back on campus for an all-day grad student "training".

    I was home by early evening that night and had a little bit of nausea from the anesthesia. I slept most of the night and woke up feeling much better that next day. My abdomen was sore but the incisions were tiny -- less than 1" each -- so they didn't have as much pain as I anticipated.

    Good luck. I know it seems like a scary venture but hopefully it will give some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so nervous for mine, too! Really and truly, it was much easier than I had built it up in my head. I went back and found a few of my posts surrounding the surgery so you might want to check them out. Wishing you lots of good, easy vibes for your surgery!! GL!

    http://subfertilefrugalista.blogspot.com/2008/05/recovering.html

    http://subfertilefrugalista.blogspot.com/2008/05/not-so-fast-there-chachi.html

    http://subfertilefrugalista.blogspot.com/2008/05/not-as-bad-as-i-thought.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hysteroscopy was to remove a septum from my uterus. I believe that is also why I had the balloon. They remove the septum (basically, the septum made my uterus into a weird shape like a big U) and then they have to put the balloon in to help the uterus keep the proper shape. I THINK that's how it works.

    So I guess with lap you may not have a balloon. I can't remember for sure.

    But if you don't have to have the balloon then I would think it would be even more simple! I had quite a bit of gas pain up in my shoulder from the anesthesia but as you can read from my post, was up and moving about pretty quickly afterward. That would have to be the worst part...the pain in my shoulder, but it was more of an aggravation rather than a pain I guess. I didn't even take a single pain killer unless they gave me one in the hospital. I know they gave me a script for some and I didn't even fill it, just used extra strength tylenol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IMO - The laparoscopy was nothing. I was freaked out too (for weird reasons). But I forced myself to do it and I'm so glad I did. I would have always wondered if it was the problem. I had NO pain, and I mean that. NONE. The worst part was actually a little blister caused by the tape. Even the bowl prep was easy. AND the Dr. told my husband I am "uber" fertile for the next few months. I loved being called fertile! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    New to your blog, I came through Icomleavwe

    I have had 2 surgeries so far, the first one was a lap that ended in a full incision. I was suppose to be off work for 6 weeks but went back after 2 1/2 (I was climbing the walls at home, but at the time I had an office job where I didn't have to move around.).

    The second one I ended up being under for much longer then expected, A two hour surgery turned into 4. I had the surgery on a Tuesday and was back to work the following Monday. My job now is a little more moving around and lifting, but I was able to manage by telling co-workers I hurt my back and couldn't lift.

    I have another friend who had a lap to check out her endo, and when I went to visit the next day she was up and around doing pretty much her normal routine.

    Just make sure to listen to your body, do only what you feel comfortable doing.

    ReplyDelete