Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Empathy Deficiency

I'm sorry to report that I've become completely unsympathetic to other people's problems. For instance:

Friend: My grandmother just died.
Me: Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. J and I have been unsuccessfully trying to get pregnant for a year and a half, have flushed countless dollars down the drain, and have endured months upon months of an emotional rollercoaster that has, so far, always ended in heartache. I WIN!

Okay, so that didn't actually happen, and I'm not QUITE that insensitive. But I'm afraid that I'm about one BFN away from bitter. I'm having real, actual trouble empathizing with loved ones (people I REALLY love! and care about!) when they are having problems that I don't think measure up to my problems. This isn't fair! I shouldn't be acting this way! I've always been a firm believer in people's right to complain to friends and feel upset, even if someone else can trump their problems. I mean, there is always someone out there that has you beat -- that doesn't make your troubles less important to you. I need to keep this in perspective. (I should also mention that the grandmother example was a complete exaggeration -- obviously a death in the family is a very serious, sad thing).

I admitted how badly I've been mentally behaving to my dearest friend, R, today. She (unlike me) was very understanding and assured me that I have a right to feel this way sometimes. Very sweet of her. And I know that I have the right to feel upset/angry/frustrated with everything that J and I are dealing with right now, but I do need to remember that my friends & family have that same right. They are dealing with things, too. Must. Remember. This.

On a lighter note, today was Day 2 of J-teaches-M-tennis. I'm not quite as terrible as I thought I would be! My forearm is very sore; I'm not sure I've ever used that muscle before. S'riously. But, for now, I'm enjoying it. I'm not sure how much exercise I'm getting, but hey, it beats sitting on the couch, right? And I must report that J is an excellent, incredibly patient coach.

J and I are going home this weekend for my brother and future-sister-in-law's engagement party at my parents house. It should be a rockin' good time! I like to think of my Mom's side of the family as a slightly less crazy (albeit just as loud) version of the family in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," and I mean that in the most endearing way possible. Cliche, but true. It will be great to spend some time with them and take my mind off things for a couple of days. Plus, my brother and his fiance live far, far away, and we only see each other 2-3 times/year, so, icing on the cake.

2 comments:

  1. You are right! We are like that family....and I think there is a crazy aunt in there somewhere, even if it is me!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Blondie,
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. It was a long ride for us to get where we are today. I'm behind you 100%.
    We did 5 Femara, Puregon (Follistim) and IUI cycles. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. (You can leave me a note on my blog- the email address isn't there). Also, we did 3 of those cycles back to back.

    ReplyDelete