Sunday, April 25, 2010

No Longer Alone

I am a professional musician. This is absolutely my dream job and I could easily write a 30 page blog post on how blessed I feel to be able to do something I love (and live and breathe for) for a living. When I'm not rehearsing/performing, I'm teaching private lessons, which I also adore.

Last week, during a lesson with a girl who I've taught for over six years, something very fortuitous happened. She is a senior and therefore graduating in a few weeks, so I didn't mind spending some of her lesson just chatting. Somehow we got on the topic of exercise, which led her to divulge to me that she was recently diagnosed with PCOS. Even though PCOS affects nearly 10% of women, I had literally only met one other actual human who has PCOS before now. I immediately told her (even though I usually keep this information somewhat private) that I, too, suffer from the evil monster that is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Her eyes got big and relief seemed to wash over her face. I immediately knew how she was feeling: no longer alone. When I was diagnosed a handful of years ago, I felt very isolated for a while. I felt like no one could understand what I was going through, and I also felt like I could finally put a name with something that had been afflicting me with all sorts of rotten things since my teen years.

My student went on to say that her doctor told her that she may not be able to have children. She told me about crying through Up and Julie and Julia last summer (check, check). My heart broke for her. On one hand, I told her that she is lucky to be diagnosed with this at a young age so that she can better combat the side effects and health problems that can come along with it. On the other had, she is only 18 and will have much of her youth to be carrying this burden with her. I've always said that I wish I would have been diagnosed earlier (before I was 25). But then again, I was blissfully unaware of things to come. J and I had two years together before we even had to deal with numerous appointments, pills, shots, ultrasounds, HSGs, and the rollercoaster ride that is infertility. While it would have been nice to be able to "get crackin" right away and save ourselves some time, I'm actually somewhat thankful for those years. Our future dreams of having children were romantic and carefree. I think we are now better equipped to deal with this reality. If I had the chance to find out earlier, I think the logic-minded side of me would choose to go that route. Luckily, that's not an option. I think things are better this way.

I sent my student an email when I got home from our lesson and offered her my encouragement and an ear anytime she wants to talk. I'm thankful that we landed on that topic of conversation and hope that I can offer her some support in the years to come! And you know what? Even though I wouldn't wish PCOS or IF on my worst enemy, it was kind of nice to get to talk to another PCOS'er face to face.

8 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I have endometriosis and I am a teacher. The other day when I was in my classroom marking I heard a student telling her friend that she had endometriosis and I thought of approaching her and telling her that I have it too. I didn't want to embarass her or be too noisy but it sounds like maybe I should talk to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what kind of doctor tells an 18 year old that she may never be able to kids bc of pcos?? that's one of the better ones to have (i have it too). i'm glad though, that you were able to do some sharing with her and make her feel not-so-alone :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, a professional musican, huh? What do you play?
    I having been having multiple experiences like yours lately, except I am usually the one that "comes out". I am happy that you were able to meet and share with someone IRL. I never thought how important it would be to do so.
    Just found you via ICLW-

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome that you are a professional musician!

    I would have to agree that the doctor was rather insensitive. Many women with PCOS have children without a lot of medical intervention. I am not one of them, but I know it happens.

    I am glad that she has someone to talk to about her condition! That is wonderful.

    Here from ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to make music for a living- it was path I considered, but life drew me elsewhere... It's weird- I totally get what you mean to not ever wish this on anyone, and yet, there's this little burst of joy inside you when you find someone IRL that can actually relate to what you're going through. I'm glad you could find someone to connect with. Have you considered finding support groups through your local chapter of RESOLVE? Meeting with ppl face to face works wonders, even if it's just for a few visits and not something long term. In any event, happy ICLW!

    ~Miriam (ICLW #134) Hannah Wept, Sarah Laughed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That is awesome. I am so glad you were able to be there for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lucky girl to have someone like you to talk to. You're such a positive influence, and I bet she feels really lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete